Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: enumerate NT/Win2k users from a linux machine

From: "Ulrich Keil" <ulrich () der-keiler de>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 00:36:31 -0000

Hi Chris!

If I understad your concerns right (don't know exactly, my english is not to
good), then your problem is not really a pen-test problem, but a linux/windows
problem.

If you want to have access to the login-ID's of your Windows-Servers, then you
have with Win2k a very good chance to solve this problem relativly easy.

You just have to set up an LDAP (e.g. OpenLDAP)-Server, which acts as a proxy
between your Linux-Workstations and the "Directory-Service" of your
Windows-Servers.

With this solution, it is also possible to do not just normal querys against
the Win2k-LDAP-Server, but also the authentification of the UNIX-Clients via
pam_ldap (but who really wants to do this!).

Ulrich Keil
Want to double your drive-space? Delete Windows!

Chris Barber wrote:

Hi all;

I have a client that uses primarily Linux workstations for the end users.
They use NT and Win2K servers for the storage of many networked applications
and data. One of the concerns they have is if users on the network would be
able enumerate the login IDs on the NT/Win2k servers from the Linux
workstations. I have not seen anything on the net lately that would do this
but I thought I would ask those who do this kind of thing all of the time.
I am not Pen-tester by trade but I do dabble from time to time (when I have
some, time that is).

Can anyone lend a hand?

Thnaks

Chris

This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA)
Service. For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which
automatically alerts you to the latest security vulnerabilities please see:
https://alerts.securityfocus.com/