Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: DoS ToolKit

From: dharana <dharana () dharana net>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 10:17:04 +0200

Ershad Shafi Chowdhury(iru () bol-online com)@2001.07.31 10:12:04 +0000:
Whoa! Hold on those tests if you don't know what to do to protect
yourself first. DoS can be nasty especially if carried out during office
hours.

The idea is first to try pen-testing against the actual configuration, and
then make the necessary changes.

I suggest reading relevant security docs for those network
devices, e.g. Cisco, WinNT, Win2K, Linux and other devices you may have,
and checking if you have the protection in place.

http://neworder.box.sk/
http://packetstorm.linuxsecurity.com/
http://www.securityfocus.com/

Do you recommend me another website of the like?

Then, you can blast away, first from a remote site, then from your local
LAN while no one is working at the office. If you can, close any DB's
you may have running (you don't want your OS to crash and corrupt the DB
too), and if everything works out, you can test again with them up and
running.

I think I know what I'm playing with. My question was more about what kind of
attacks. For example:
- Smurf Attacks
- Arp poisoning hubs and switches
- Jolt'ing against the Windows Machines.
- (a lot more I don't know at this moment)

I've already tried exploits against the visible services (some of them might cause
DoS) and now I wanted to test the stability of some of our routers,
firewalls and workstations and servers.

On the other hand, if you have already taken the precautions, start with
attempting DoS at workstations, servers, firewalls, hubs, switches and
finally routers.

Here we are. Do you know any good place to start?

Regards,
Ershad Shafi Chowdhury (Iru)
Chief Information Officer
Bangladesh Online Ltd - A Beximco Company
House 21, Road 3, Dhanmondi R/A, Dhaka 1205
Tel: +88029668320, Fax: +88029668321