Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: spoofing 255.255.255.255 techniques

From: Blake Frantz <blake () mc net>
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2001 21:13:58 -0500 (CDT)

Our PIX does not indicate source or destination ports
perhaps because the "IP spoof" criteria was already
triggered in its logic chain, denying the packet and
making a syslog entry.

It's been my experience that the PIX will not provide port information if
the packet is blocked by an ACL.  However, it *will* provide port
information if the packet is blocked because there is no "conduit"
allowing the traffic.

I'm not sure if the spoof detection mechanism supercedes this.

Hope this helps.

-Blake

This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA) Service
For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which automatically alerts you to
the latest security vulnerabilities please see:

https://alerts.securityfocus.com/