Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: Dsniff'ng wireless networks

From: Jon Larimer <jlarimer () html net>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 13:29:58 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 10 Jul 2001, Philip Cox wrote:

Mike,
    3) On Linux, some driver patches are required to report the ENTIRE
802.11 encapsulation to the application layer and then you need
some modified libpcap libraries to handle them

Are these patches publicly available? If so, where?

Javier Achirica posted some patches to airo.c and libpcap to the aironet
mailing list. They work against Ben Reed's aironet driver in the pcmcia-cs
package.

http://csl.cse.ucsc.edu/pipermail/aironet/2001-May/001220.html

An earlier version is at:

http://csl.cse.ucsc.edu/pipermail/aironet/2001-May/001186.html

The earlier post says the patches are to be used against version 1.7 of
Ben's driver from the CVS repository. I've successfully applied the patches
and got my aironet card into monitor mode. It won't return the aironet frame
headers, but you will see all 802.11 frames with headers. The driver needs
modified further to return the aironet headers, which have information like channel,
signal strength, transmission rate, etc.

-jon

This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA) Service
For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which automatically alerts you to
the latest security vulnerabilities please see:

https://alerts.securityfocus.com/