Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: RVP (RezendeVous Protocol)

From: "BUGTRAQ" <ivan.buetler () csnc ch>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 07:34:06 +0200

Hi there,
 We were involved into a Tibco installation. Tibco delivers it server farm
with multihome networked systems. The application services are only needed
from the first interface, where synchronisation and data transfer between
tibco nodes are transfered by the broadcast protocol RendeVous on the second
interface (something like Tibco backbone).

 We recommended to install something like "Solaris IPFILTER" on the Tibco
systems in order to prevent hackers from the Intra_NET accessing Tibco's
backbone network.

In other words, Tibco presents a lot of services, visible on both network
interfaces. If you spoof a Tibco node, you will be able to
insert/fake/delete datas to the message queue and therefore compromised data
integrity. Especially, because RendeVous uses UDP as well.

Regards

Ivan