Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Fw: Ethical Hacking Courses

From: "Peter Mercer" <inom () ozemail com au>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 11:26:31 +1000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Peter Mercer" <inom () ozemail com au>
To: <mht () clark net>
Sent: Monday, May 14, 2001 9:31 AM
Subject: Re: Ethical Hacking Courses

My 2 cents worth

While there are several course on the market today that teach the
techniques
and tools behind hacking none of them can teach you to be a hacker / Pen
tester. The best they can do is teach and expose you to the tools and how
some of the most commonly used vulnerabilities work.

If you are looking to go to a course and come away a fully qualified Pen
Tester you may be a little disappointed.

What a course form any one of the mentioned vendors ( I have done a few
they
are all good) can hopefully teach you is to think outside the square. The
course will teach you effective ways to gather information but only you
can
look at that information then look and look again and say "Ok what can I
do
with the information I have in front of me".

 It's this part that you need as a Pen Tester / Hacker. It's statements
like
"If we just tried to do this, maybe......." that will get you there. I
would
as I have said in past email only credit 20 % to the scanners / tools
available and 75% to the grey matter scanner you were born with. (Last 5
present you ask, that's easy, Coffee).

If you go to the old l0pht crack site there is a wonderful quote from MS
somewhere on the page that I think say's a lot about what I am trying to
get
to here.

"Microsoft has claimed such a feat would take millions of years".

Millions of  years, darn lets give up now I'll miss basket ball training.
Well we all know that this was not the case. As I said before they
gathered
the info then did a lot of lateral thinking and quick as you can say
"Mudgenski Von Splat"

They had a solution, answer then tool.

The "thinking /grey matter" was by far the greatest part.

Go to the course they are great as a primer but learn more than just how
use the tools on show learn to think out side the square.

Peter Mercer / in0m

<Insert risk management here> Of course I reserve the right to be
completely
wrong.