Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Tool for source routing

From: Ryan Russell <ryan () securityfocus com>
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2001 18:21:28 -0600 (MDT)

On Sun, 3 Jun 2001, Franklin DeMatto wrote:

Can anyone suggest a good tool to perform ip addr spoofing via source routing?

You generally use source routing in an attack to get to an address you
couldn't otherwise (for example, RFC1918 addresses.)

That is, it should replace the source addr with a spoofed one, and add the
real one as a source route.

That implies that you're trying to spoof your source address, and get the
victim machine to source-route back [to|through] the real attacker IP.
It doesn't work that way.  Only the originator of a packet gets to specify
that source routing is on.  I know of no way to force a victim to use
source routing.

Or I'm misunderstanding your question..

It must also forward the recieved packets,
since their dest addr will be the spoofed one.

It should ideally be able to sit in between other apps, both ones that use
connect() and ones that use raw sockets, and modify the IP packets to
source route.  This would allow use of preexisting tools without
rewrite/recompilation.

Any router or bridge along the way could do that, if you had total control
over it... but I think the basic premise of what you're trying to do is
off.

                                                Ryan