Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Offline NT/2000 Registry & Password Editor

From: "Hostfarm Security" <security.lists () hostfarm net>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 08:42:43 -0400

Anyone else use this utility instead of trying to lookup the passwords with
L0phtCrack?

I had to use it when one of our users removed himself from the domain and
didn't remember any of the local system passwords. I used this bootdisk to
mount the NTFS partition, and it gave me a list of the local users. It gave
me a list of local accounts and allowed me to change the Administrator
account. When I rebooted the machine, everything worked fine. So far, I've
tried it on 1 Win2k box and 2 WinNT boxes without problems.

Nate