Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: [PEN-TEST] finding offensive material

From: Laudon Williams <eldub () POBOX COM>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 19:53:20 -0800

I look at it as a fairly straight forward issue. If this is a straight
pen-test (no policy component), then I'd just let it go, unless they have
some type of control in place and it is being circumvented. If I had a good
relationship with someone at the company, I might let them know off the
record. If this is a straight pen-test, it seems to be clearly out of scope
(least the way I scope these).

If the company lacks policy, this will cause a stir that they may not know
how to deal with. If you don't plan to offer "expert" advice on how to solve
these types of issues with proper policy and controls, it seems kinda like
pitching a grenade over the wall and leaving someone else to deal with it.

On the other hand, if you are fluent in the legal implications and writing
appropriate policies, drive on.

-LW