Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Identifying active sessions on ports without sniffing

From: "Fei Hu" <fei_hu () linuxmail org>
Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2001 23:42:09 +0800

Is there a way to identify active TCP ports/sessions (otherwise seen as closed via a port scanner)? I am working
pen-test where I need to identify the ports associated with an established TCP session. In this situation, data is only
transmitted one direction, server -> client. It is transmitted intermittently on an as needed basis with no established
patterns. The TCP session stays up even though no data is being sent, so the ports on the server and client side remain
static. The application layer is a proprietary app. There is no way to use a use a sniffer.

Would an active port respond back as closed slower than a truely closed port for example.  Could this type of test even
at all possible due to traffic load fluctuations?

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Fei Hu