Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Security Audit

From: JCovington <jcovingto () home com>
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2001 10:35:36 -0700

It's pretty difficult to break the time down per host. Servers may have
a bunch of services running and each one needs to be scanned, searches
done for new vulnerabilities, etc. A workstation on the other hand may
only have only a few services and it becomes a check for
misconfigurations.

It can also depend on the scanning tools used. A big commercial scanner
could check all machines pretty efficiently. But then good pentesters
will follow up on what the scanner found and verify so false positives
are minimized. Also good pentesters will use a toolbag of scripts and
utilities as a second level of thoroughness.

And as someone stated before...an attacker could spend weeks going over
everything in fine detail. For a complete assessment with a good, clear,
concise report at the end I would say 4-5 days.

-Jim