Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: 802.11/monitor mode (Was: Re: 802.11B and libpcap)

From: Robert van der Meulen <rvdm () cistron nl>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 01:11:40 -0700

Hi,

Quoting Michael H. Warfield (mhw () wittsend com):
On Wed, Sep 19, 2001 at 12:37:14AM +0200, Robert van der Meulen wrote:
This is probably just a matter of time; orinoco cards (and i suspect
practically any other 802.11 card) support monitor mode.
Currently, the PrismII is popular, because it seems to be the only card
having an implementation of the monitor mode command stuff in the standard
linux kernel ;)
      I thought you had to apply patches to the Prism drivers in the
"standard linux kernel".  Which version of the kernel has these patches
"standard"?
As far as i know, no patches are needed. I don't have a prismII based card,
so my information comes from reading kernelsource. The kernelsource i was
looking at, was something 2.4.7-ac11-ish.

      Patches are also available for the Cisco Aironet 340/450 (aka
aironet4500) cards.  Patches are not currently available for cards based
on the Lucent Chipset (Cabletron, Lucent WaveLAN, Lucent Orinoco) but
should be possible.
Correct me if i'm wrong, but iirc the Lucent cards use Hermes chipsets - i
don't know if Lucent owns the rights to that though ;)

Greets,
        Robert

--
                              Linux Generation
   encrypted mail preferred. finger rvdm () debian org for my GnuPG/PGP key.

This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA)
Service. For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which
automatically alerts you to the latest security vulnerabilities please see:
https://alerts.securityfocus.com/