Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: L0phtcrack

From: olle <olle () nxs se>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 11:56:50 +0200

On Tue, Sep 18, 2001 at 07:33:39PM +0200, Ockens Thomas wrote:
I'm not sure of JtR will do both Lan Manager hashes and NT
hashes, like LC3.
It does Lan Manager hashes, though.

I have not seen JtR unpatched[1] come up with 'NT passwords' yet (the
case-sensitive kind), but I use vanilla JtR in conjunction with Cain[2] -
have JtR crack the LanMan hash, spit out all-uppercase password.

At http://labs.defcom.com/ you can get a patch to john that does 'NT passwords'.
See the link on the http://www.openwall.com/john/ page.

/olle

This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA)
Service. For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which
automatically alerts you to the latest security vulnerabilities please see:
https://alerts.securityfocus.com/