Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: FW: RE Modem identification

From: olle <olle () nxs se>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 14:15:36 +0200

On Tue, Sep 25, 2001 at 10:01:01AM +0200, Dawes, Rogan (ZA - Johannesburg) wrote:

Re the prompting, one of the most common "Silent" modems seems to be Windows
NT RAS. This sits there until you give it a particular string.  I am
intending to capture the initial string using PortMon, and replay it blindly
whenever I get no initial characters. That should help identify a number of
systems, I think.

NT RAS is just PP with MSCHAP authentication.

pppd will suffice both to identify and bf NT RAS.

/olle

This list is provided by the SecurityFocus Security Intelligence Alert (SIA)
Service. For more information on SecurityFocus' SIA service which
automatically alerts you to the latest security vulnerabilities please see:
https://alerts.securityfocus.com/