Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Medium Scale Scanning Best Practices

From: "Erlend J. Leiknes" <nookie () online no>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 02:37:55 +0100

You could program it in python using the telnet library.

Most services has a welcome message, and you could use that as a fingerprint
of the version.
Ofcourse services like http require you to send something before you get any
useful data back (server version info etc...)
but that should be very possible (write exceptions for a group of ports that
need you to send data first).

Since its fingerprinting you wouldnt need to remember the version, all you
need to know is:
what type of service is located on that port
will the welcome header reveal the services-version

if that is the case, then you could easly search through your scan-logs and
see what services that are vurnable. (this should be done by looking at a
bugtraq.

You will also be able to tell when there are new deamons installed on the
network, which might reveal hacked machines.

For more information about how to write such application (www.python.org)
You should be able to learn the language in 3-4 days.