Penetration Testing mailing list archives

internal IP address revealed by e-mail

From: "Vel" <vel () sympatico ca>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 11:06:53 -0400

HI all,

question I have is:

If e-mail header reveals the internal IP address of the sender (10.x.x.x),
then how can this info be used for mapping the internal network.

i.e, yes, I can use Firewalk. but the question is how. 10.x.x.x. is
non-routable Internet address.

and the Firewalk documentation explains itself by using 10.x.x.x address
space.

But if I am on public INternet outside of the victim's firewall DMZ, how can
issue a command like Firewalk 10.0.0.1 ?  I am just going to get Request
Timed out !

Any Firewalk gurus out there ?

thanks.

Did you know that you have VNC running on your network?
Your hacker does.
Plug your security holes.
Download a free 15-day trial of VAM:
http://www.securityfocus.com/StillSecure-pen-test