Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: Features of a vulnerability scanner

From: "Kohlenberg, Toby" <toby.kohlenberg () intel com>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 12:58:03 -0800

(All opinions are my own and in no way reflect the views of my employer)

one key feature that I haven't ever seen is confidence in a result.
I'd like my VS to tell me why it believes and answer is correct and
how confident it is of that answer. Is Sendmail not vulnerable because
it isn't present, because the banner clearly shows a non-vulnerable
version, because the banner doesn't give enough information to make a
real decision, because the banner doesn't say Sendmail?

Give me these details and a confidence value to go with them so that I
can help diagnose errors in the scanner.

toby