Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: [in] VPN protocols

From: "Curt Purdy" <purdy () tecman com>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 14:05:07 -0600

Dan Tesch wrote:
I am not very up on VPN protocols, I am testing a network
that has an edge router which has several site-to-site VPN's
set up and several clients connecting to it via MS PPTP client.
<snip>

You did not mention the site-to-site vpn vendor, but sounds like ipsec to
me.  Your easiest shot at compromise is with PPTP.  It was an insecure
format from the beginning.  It took cisco to show Microsoft how to do VPN.

Curt Purdy CISSP, GSEC, CNE, MCSE+I, CCDA
Information Security Engineer
DP Solutions

If you spend more on coffee than on IT security, you will be hacked.
What's more, you deserve to be hacked.
-- former White House cybersecurity czar Richard Clarke