Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: Open tcp port 2005 on cisco router

From: Leif Sawyer <lsawyer () gci com>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2004 09:16:24 -0900

deniz () edizayn com tr writes:
      While I am scanning one of our customer's border
router, I have seen that TCP port 2005 is open and reachable
from Internet. As far as,  I know this port is being used for
async. connection to other devices in this router. Is
that normal to see this port as open from Internet?

You're right about it being an async connection to some
other device external to the router.

You don't mention what type of router it is, but if it's anything
like a Cisco 2511, which is a 16-port async box, each port
above 2000 is 'tied' to a serial port for reverse telnet capabilities.

The VTY configuration should have ACL's configured to disallow
unwanted traffic, but it seems that you've found that they
haven't blocked you...