Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: VMWare and which linux distro?

From: mike () genxweb net
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2004 17:33:50 +0000

I have recently tried slackware and solaris 8 inside of vmware running on a
redhat fedora box with no luck, unfortunatly without using the advance setting
and allowing the guest machines to have access to my hard drive it self they
will not install cause they look for /dev/hda and the cdrom takes that mount.
It is weird had several people look at and they were all pretty dumb founded.
Though installing windows and rh in vmware worked fine. Will try free bsd and
debian tonight.

Quoting Christopher Downs <cdowns () drippingdead com>:

I use Arch Linux and VMware / CXoffice. Most commonly people run RedHat
and VMware but each his own.

~!>D

Maxime Rousseau wrote:

Hi List,

I think a good portion of you guys use a VMWare-Linux setup when doing
pen-test (for many reasons). The question i would like to ask is, which
linux distribution works best for this specific purpose ? Obviously you
dont need a distribution with many fency Xwin features and preferably
good networking tools built-in.

I am uncertain about which would work best in this particular scenario
and i really cant think of anyone better then you guys to give me
insight.

Thanks,

-Maxime