Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Lotus Notes .id file pw recover (Was Cached NT/W2k passwords)

From: Kurt Grutzmacher <grutz () jingojango net>
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2004 11:51:07 -0700

Romes, Randall J. wrote:

Any one familiar with a means of recovering/cracking the password for lotus
notes which resides in the .id file?

Any one know how the password is encrypted/hashed?
There's quite a bit of information out in google-world about notes .id files but i'll summarize:

- Notes uses a public/private key exchange for authentication
- .ID files are the private keys secured with the password
- Using the notes library, tools like IPR (link provided earlier) work with a dictionary - There are a few commercial tools available that do dic/hybrid style attacks.

http://www.lostpassword.com/lotus-notes.htm

I've had limited success with either IPR or LNkey unless the password is in one of my dictionaries. YMMV.