Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: TS/3389 risk on Internet

From: Davide Carnevali <davide () protechta it>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 09:56:13 +0200

IMHO it is not a problem related to clear text or encrypted authentication.
TS is a very powerful yet dangerous service...it gives you total control over the machine... Username/Password is a weak authentication method ...i could "guess" them or i can "ask" for them through social engineering .....
At leat you should implement a strong authentication method such as OTP.

And what about new vulnerability in TS that will be discovered tomorrow?
... better to use TS over a VPN using digital certificates...

Annibal!

net sec wrote:
I have a peer that insists on allowing public access to his Domain controller via TS/tcp 3389 over the internet. I know there are some documented cases of 'man-in-the-middle' attacks for this service but I was hoping someone here could help me plead my case as to why this is a bad idea. Maybe you all disagree and regurlary allow this traffic. It just doesn't sit well with me. Does anyone know if the login/password is sent in clear text for TS authentication?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts,
Nicole

Internet Security Systems. - Keeping You Ahead of the Threat

When business losses are measured in seconds, Internet threats must be stopped before they impact your network. To learn how Internet Security Systems keeps organizations ahead of the threat with preemptive intrusion prevention, download the new whitepaper, Defining the Rules of Preemptive Protection, and end your reliance on reactive security technology.
http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/ISS_pen-test_041001

--
Davide Carnevali
Chief Technical Officer

Chi riceve il presente messaggio e` tenuto a verificare se lo stesso non gli sia pervenuto per errore. In tal caso e` pregato di avvisare immediatamente il mittente e, tenuto conto delle responsabilita` connesse all'indebito utilizzo e/o divulgazione del messaggio e/o delle informazioni in esso contenute, voglia cancellare l'originale e distruggere le varie copie o stampe.

The receiver of this message is required to check if he/she has received it erroneously. If so, the receiver is requested to immediately inform the sender and - in consideration of the responsibilities arising from undue use and/or disclosure of the message and/or the information contained therein - destroy the original message and any copy or printout thereof.