Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Accessing Winxp shares

From: "Anurag Joshi" <mastermindanu () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 15:40:37 +0530

Hi everybody,
I have observed a couple of thing while pen testing a windows network. While i could connect to Win2000 machines using net use command(knowing the admin password) i could not do so on Winxp machines. How should one connect to default shares in WinXp?? Also that after installing SP2 in WinXp the default shares are not visible. Does this mean that there are no default shares available. Also that can we connect to default (ADMIN$) share from linux?? I tried to connect using smbclient but could not. In all the cases i was knowing admin password.
        Thanks for any help....
Anurag Joshi