Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Where are Windows "Enforce password history" passwords stored?

From: blanc <blanc () easymail hu>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 13:25:08 +0200

Charles Gillman írta:

Can anyone tell me where the "remembered" passwords are stored when
the "Enforce password history" is set in Group Policy?

If this setting is set to its maximum value of 24 then I would expect
24 password hashes are stored for each account for the setting to
work.  But where?

More importantly are there any tools/techniques for accessing the
"remembered" passwords?

Hello
Try this:
Start menu -> Run -> type: control userpasswords2
Click Special and the first block will control userpasswords that saved on that machine. As I know you cannot change it, only erase.

Blanc