Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Oracle hash-list?

From: Joshua Wright <jwright () hasborg com>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 11:19:52 -0500

Steven DeFord wrote:
Isn't using the username as useful as a salt?  Better, even, perhaps,
since usernames are longer than your typical few-character salt? Salts just slow down precompiled dictionary attacks, yes? I suppose
it would be less useful for the few default accounts, but not for all
the other users.

While this is true, a conflicting salt for users on two different systems would be a problem, since they will have the same password hash. A compromised username/password combination on one system could extend to another system since there is no unique salt.

-Josh
--
-Joshua Wright
jwright () hasborg com

pgpkey: http://home.jwu.edu/jwright/pgpkey.htm
fingerprint: FDA5 12FC F391 3740 E0AE BDB6 8FE2 FC0A D44B 4A73

Today I stumbled across the world's largest hotspot.  The SSID is "linksys".