Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Fingerprinting Firewall

From: Demetrio Carrión <demetrio.carrion () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 6 May 2005 16:19:38 -0300

Hi,

I think of a particular case where you are able to sniff layer two
traffic in the firewall segment and this firewall is an
appliance-based one.

Would it possible to discover the firewall vendor by correlating the
firewall MAC layer address and the OUI, then someone could narrow the
firewall to a specific vendor and possible versions?

Just guessing.

Cheers,

Demetrio Carrion
IT Security Consultant