Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Wireless cards

From: Lockdown <lockdown () thegeekzone com>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 07:48:47 -0500

Zac Mutrux wrote:

On 5/13/05, Michael C. McDonnell <michael () carolinatechservices com> wrote:
I'm trying to find a wireless card for my laptop with an external
antenna jack and linux drivers

Proxim Orinoco Wavelan wireless network adapter has an external
antenna jack and Linux drivers. At least, they used to have the
antenna jack. I haven't seen the newer models.
http://www.proxim.com/products/wifi/client/

Zac
I've got the 802.11b/g silver card (8470-WD) and it's great. It has the external connector so I can hook it to my cantenna. It also runs perfectly in Linux using the MADWiFi (http://madwifi.sourceforge.net/) drivers. Those drivers are found on the latest versions of Knoppix.

I also like the fact that it works with FreeBSD if you compile Atheros support into the kernel. Something to keep in mind in case you ever consider trying other OSes.

Good luck,

Ben