Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Identifying whether 2 IPs are from the same server

From: Joachim Schipper <j.schipper () math uu nl>
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 14:42:36 +0100

On Thu, Nov 24, 2005 at 01:58:58PM +0000, BSK wrote:
Hello,

I am doing a Penetration Testing for 2 IP addresses.
My findings till now for both the servers are exactly
same. I strongly feel that both the IPs belong to the
same machine. May be a scenario where two NICs are on
the same machine with two Public IPs. I ran HPING to
match their IP IDs but it shows different series for
both of them.

Is there any other technique that we can use to
ascertain such a situation?

thank you

If you can cause high system load in some way other than flooding all
the bandwidth, you could try correlating the responsiveness of interface
#2 with the amount of stuff sent to interface #1.

However, it's not impossible that you are looking at two
identically-configured servers...

                Joachim

Audit your website security with Acunetix Web Vulnerability Scanner:

Hackers are concentrating their efforts on attacking applications on your
website. Up to 75% of cyber attacks are launched on shopping carts, forms,
login pages, dynamic content etc. Firewalls, SSL and locked-down servers are
futile against web application hacking. Check your website for vulnerabilities
to SQL injection, Cross site scripting and other web attacks before hackers do!
Download Trial at:

http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/pen-test_050831