Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: nmap results

From: Christine Kronberg <Christine_Kronberg () genua de>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 09:42:50 +0200 (CEST)

On Sat, 10 Sep 2005, Mohamed Abdel Kader wrote:

I have recently been doing some scans and in some cases nmap returns many
ports to be open. the weird thing is that the ports are sequential.
i know many of you might be tempted to say its a honeypot but i know for a
fact its not. does anyone know why does this happen and how?

  I've seen that, too. But only with nodes which turned out to be
  spam distributors. I wonder if there is a connection between the
  software used to gain access and send spam and the observed open
  ports behaviour.

  Cheers,

  Chris Kronberg.

--
GeNUA mbH

Audit your website security with Acunetix Web Vulnerability Scanner: Hackers are concentrating their efforts on attacking applications on your website. Up to 75% of cyber attacks are launched on shopping carts, forms, login pages, dynamic content etc. Firewalls, SSL and locked-down servers are futile against web application hacking. Check your website for vulnerabilities to SQL injection, Cross site scripting and other web attacks before hackers do! Download Trial at:

http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/pen-test_050831