Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: RE: Password secured using?

From: "Dario Ciccarone (dciccaro)" <dciccaro () cisco com>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 16:02:57 -0400

Yeah, here's is an idea. Looks like a table and a simple XOR. Theory:

'encrypted' password is represented as:

[1 nibble][encrypted bytes]

[1 nibble] = starting position into XOR/translation table

So, as an example:

a=285

Would mean:

'starting from position 2 in the table for the algorithm, and password,
encrypted, is 0x85'

And this:

aaa = 0401785

confirms our hyphotesis - 'start from position 0 on the table, 1st char
(pos 0) is 0x40, 2nd (pos 1) is 0x17, 3rd (pos 2) is 0x85' - which is
consistent with our previous observation.

One nibble = 16 possible starting points - so the table will look like:

1234567890123456
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPABCDEFGHIJKLMNOP

Keep generating passwords - use 'a' x 48 or similar - reconstruct the
table - try and see if is a XOR or a straight substituion cipher. Good
luck.

Dario