Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: Loading EXE files directly from memory?

From: Omar Herrera <oherrera () prodigy net mx>
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2006 09:43:40 -0600

True, but in Microsoft Windows this is a harder task since the O.S. requires
explicitly that the executable file is located on hard disk for it to be
executed (i.e. processing the file headers to prepare the memory and load
any external functions is done only from files stored on disk; a filename is
a required parameter).

But as usual, there are ways to overcome this restriction. For example, this
article discusses 3 techniques that allows you to execute a program from
memory without using Windows API functions (at least with Windows versions
previous to Vista): http://www.codeproject.com/threads/winspy.asp

Some wrapper programs like eliteWrap (also used to deploy trojans and other
pieces of malware) will usually dump the binary to disk before executing it.
The problem is that the executable will reside on disk and you won't be able
to delete it while it is being executed (if you used the functions provided
by the MS API).

Cheers,

Omar Herrera