Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: nbns spoofer

From: "Robin Wood" <dninja () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2007 01:06:15 +0100

Nikolaj
I've found that some windows applications do an netbios lookup as well
as, or instead of, a dns lookup. I can happily spoof dns entries but
the apps which also use netbios get an invalid netbios result so don't
work.

The last app which triggered my interest was outlook (maybe express
but probably not). I'm running the wifi app called karma which allows
you to become any AP which the clients are probing for and offer them
multiple services. There is a fake pop3 server and I tried testing it
with outlook but as it failed, a bit of packet sniffing found that
outlook was doing the netbios lookup so I started on my quest to find
something to allow me to reply to any netbios request with a given
(usually my own) IP address.

Robin