Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: a "good" vulnerability for educational purposes

From: "Jorge L. Vazquez" <jlvazquez825 () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 05:48:39 -0400

Kelly Keeton wrote:
Also there are Live Cd's with things your looking for...

http://de-ice.net/
http://www.damnvulnerablelinux.org/

no so but some...

http://www.owasp.org/index.php/Category:OWASP_Live_CD_Project

On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 12:07 PM, Andre Amorim <decouk () gmail com> wrote:

Dear Trajce,
My suggestion is ...
Download some old softwares with bugs.
https://www.securinfos.info/old_softwares_vulnerable.php

then use metasploit to exploit it.
Also there is a nice intro tutorial here showing how to write a
exploit with metasploit framework.
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Metasploit/WritingWindowsExploit

All the best,
Andre Amorim
GnuPG KEY: 2048R/3E10FF47
Download:
http://pgp.zdv.uni-mainz.de:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x7C3B77763E10FF47

2008/8/18  <dimkovtrajce () yahoo com>:

Hi,

Our goal is to teach master students in computer security in pen testing remote servers.

As an exercise we want to introduce a vulnerability in IIS or Apache (or any other place you might suggest)which is
recognizable with current vulnerability scanners(ex.nessus), but requires some coding/payload generation to exploit
the vulnerability.

I am considering bugtracq, but there are many vulnerabilities there which i can not filter with the requirements
above.

Can you point me to any "good" vulnerability for this purpose?

Regards,
Trajce

Top 5 Common Mistakes in
Securing Web Applications
Get 45 Min Video and PPT Slides

www.cenzic.com/landing/securityfocus/hackinar

Top 5 Common Mistakes in
Securing Web Applications
Get 45 Min Video and PPT Slides

www.cenzic.com/landing/securityfocus/hackinar

Top 5 Common Mistakes in
Securing Web Applications
Get 45 Min Video and PPT Slides

www.cenzic.com/landing/securityfocus/hackinar

like someone suggested here de-ice live cd is a good platform to do
pentesting, my personal opinion I would install an old version of
windows server like windows 2000 server (unpatched--no SP's)as it
resembles what you would find in a live production environment, and
install as many services/applications as you want (IIS, ftp, telnet,
etc...) and that could be the setup for the target, as far as what to
use for pentesting, you could take a look at backtrack, knoppix-std....
and if you put all this in a vmware even better, after you bring the
server to its knees all you got to do is revert to snapshot, and you got
your brand new server ready to be destroyed again...

just my two cents.

thanks

Jorge L. Vazquez
MCSE, CCNA, A+