Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: Port 4662 exploitation

From: "Jeremi Gosney" <Jeremi.Gosney () motricity com>
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 11:33:05 -0800

"when you telnet into an unknown port you are not doing it to get a
shell, but to get a tcp header and know what services might be running
on that port.."

That statement is most definitely false. While banner collection is
certainly one facet of penetration testing, you most definitely ARE
checking for things like rootkits. Discovering a shell listening on an
arbitrary port is clearly a most valuable find. Mr Bensley's follow-up
questions are most relevant here; surely you would have known what to do
if you discovered a shell listening on a port, so my assumption is you
are mis-using the word.

Looking forward to your answers.