Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: CoBIT a Security Audit Framework?

From: "J. Oquendo" <sil () infiltrated net>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2008 15:39:07 -0600

On Mon, 01 Dec 2008, Jon Kibler wrote:

Okay, then please explain to me how an organization would use CoBIT as
the framework for doing a penetration test. Also, for a penetration
test, how is CoBIT better/more complete/etc than OSSTMM?

I believe I expanded on this on my follow up, apologies for not doing
so then.

CoBIT, IMHO is a *POLICY* audit -- and I believe that your list of CoBIT
 framework security modules verifies that -- so, how is a POLICY based
framework supposed to be used to pen test or otherwise VERIFY the actual
FUNCTIONING of an organization's security?

It's meant to give you a guideline. Let's take OSSTMM out of the
equation right now. If I told you that our forward facing web
server needed to meet compliance based off of the principals
in CoBIT's framework, you would do what? Look at what CoBIT is
concerned with, then tailor your testing to adhere to this.

How is CoBIT going to tell me whether an intruder will be detected by
the organization or that they even have the processes in place to detect
intrusion (and I do not mean "we have an IDS, so therefore we can detect
intrusions" -- don't make me laugh here!)? Where does CoBIT specify how
to test for such capabilities or even that such capabilities should be
tested for?

How is OSSTMM going to tell you similarly whether an intruder will
be detected. OSSTMM is based off of end user experience summed up
into a best practice. Again, apples and oranges. While CoBIT will
point out the need for certain technologies, you're taking the
wrong approach. So base your testing off of experience, not a
framework.

I hire you and tell you I need to adhere to X_Principle, if you can't
ensure I meet X_Principle, then I really don't care to do business
with you, that's reality and the bottom line. However, if you showed
me that your testing methodology can meet or beat me, I would be
the idiot not to listen don't you think?

Apologies for chopping down what I want to answer, but some of this
is trivial at best to me.

I do not understand how you can say that CoBIT can verify (test) any
aspect of security beyond security policy. Especially, how it can be
used as the framework for a pen test? Please explain.

I'm sorry, where in my original or any subsequent response did I state
CoBIT can verify?

Let me repost my follow up perhaps you didn't get it:

----- Forwarded message from "J. Oquendo" <sil () infiltrated net> -----