Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: OSCP

From: Al Rivas <ARivas () hyphensolutions com>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2008 12:52:21 -0600

I've been away for a while and so catching up today and noticed the idea that the CISSP required 5 years information
security experience.  While that may be a noble idea I don't believe that is what happens in practice.  I know a CISSP
(well several like him but) at least one off the top of my head that I can prove didn't know but the most basic Windows
OS not 3 years ago.

I believe the way folks get around this "5-year requirement" is to have another CISSP vouch for them.  So for example,
in his group of buddies, they all vouch for each other, buy test questions, and are now all CISSPs but they couldn't
actually keep my 16 year old out of their networks.  Hell they can't spell network.

Now perhaps some will say so you know "one".  What I'm actually saying is that I've noticed 7 to 8 in 10 CISSPs have no
clue about security.  Over the years this had me wondering, how the hell can these people have this supposedly
respected certification and be so ignorant about basic security concepts let alone attacks and their defenses,
effective policies, documentation, etc.  Documentation is a funny one because after an incident that I ended up
handling, a VP explained to me that his 2 CISSPs were not really security people but more like managers that documented
security issues.  Then I ended up having to write the reports because these two were basically illiterate.

Now BOOM, I find out help-desk boy from 3 years ago (replacing hardware mind you - not allowed near a functioning PC),
is a CISSP.

That then explained much to me.