Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: How to report a Vulnerability to a Company

From: firesidepeavey () yahoo com
Date: 8 Jan 2008 16:33:32 -0000

Hello. To answer your question, it really depends on your position within the company. I have released many
vulnerabilities to my company; I have even handed our CIO a print out of my terminal from the hack. Being a Senior Unix
Engineer, I can get away with reporting issues of that level because it is an assumed responsibility. If your not in
that type of position, the first thing your company will probably want to know is why where you looking for
vulnerabilities in the first place. I would recommend having a good answer ready for them. If your position does not
have that responsibility, then you really have to have permission from the company before you can go wild on their
network looking for hacks. My recommendation would be to talk with someone you trust in a higher technical position and
see how they recommend you release this information based off of your companies policies and procedures. What you don't
want to happen is they fix the vulnerability, then hang you up to
  dry for finding/hacking it. Be careful, sometimes even though its the ethical thing to do it might not be worth your
job. If it is really that large of a hole, you can always submit it anonymously.