Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: Dumping Data From Printers

From: "Shenk, Jerry A" <jshenk () decommunications com>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2008 15:52:17 -0400

Just a wild idea - how about telnetting to the printer and changing its
IP address to something else...probably on a different network...give it
a gateway of some machine that you control that is also on that network.
Then set up some other box with the original IP of the printer and
another IP on the "other network" that the printer is now on.  Now, it
would seem that you could "route" all traffic to the printer through
this "gateway" that you just set up.  That "gateway" could then keep a
copy of all the traffic that goes to the printer...the printer would
work just fine but you're getting a copy of all the printed data.

...just an idea.  I haven't tested it or even though of it before but it
seems rather evil!  Depending who prints data to this printer....