Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: username and Password sent as clear text strings

From: "Shenk, Jerry A" <jshenk () decommunications com>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 22:34:10 -0400

That's certainly not ideal but it seems pretty common.  The whole idea
of SSL is to encrypt the traffic en-route so that makes it all ok,
right;)  The whole burden rests on doing SSL right and never having the
user click ok on one of those boxes about the SSL hostname not matching.
So, obviously it's a big deal if the ssl certificate is valid so they
aren't training user to ignore those warnings.  One other thing to check
is that SSL is actually required.  What happens if you go to the login
page and manually switch it back to http - does it let you go?  It seems
like a lot of people kindof take that as an acceptable risk.  It depends
what is being encrypted...requiring an administrative account be used in
that manner seems to add quite a bit to the to the risk.  It needs to be
a business decision....I'd try to build a reasonable scenario that would
allow an attacker to gain access and then let the customer weigh the
value of the data and the likelihood that someone will be that
interested against the difficulty of the attack.

BTW, this sounds like a great point to throw in a little discussion
about how well the monitor their logs and how quickly they'd catch an
attack or even an attempted attack.