Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Just getting started in pen-testing

From: m0rebel <m0rebel () banditdefense com>
Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2008 04:55:27 -0500

I just started a penetration testing company called Bandit Defense. My
website is http://www.banditdefense.com and it has a lot of
information on services that I offer.

Does anyone here have experience doing freelance penetration testing
as an individual, rather than working for a larger company? I would
prefer to start with
working with small businesses and organizations rather than big
companies, and I'm looking for some concrete ideas on marketing my
skills. What type of small businesses are normally in the market for
pen tests, and how big is this market? What kind of work do they
normally need done? Also, as an individual just starting to do this
professionally, how should I go about pricing my services? Any advice
you all have would be very helpful.

For some background, I've been working with computers, mostly doing
database-driven website development, for about 8 years now, and
security has always been a hobby. I have Offensive Security Certified
Professional (OSCP) and Offensive Security Wireless Professional
(OSWP) certifications, and I have a lot of experience pen testing in a
home-lab environment and informally with some friends. I've been
published in 2600 Magazine.

Thanks so much,
m0rebel