Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: What's a good IRC Channel to go to for hacking advise?

From: Tonnerre Lombard <tonnerre.lombard () sygroup ch>
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2008 08:43:49 +0200

Salut, Chip,

On Thu, 2 Oct 2008 15:58:14 +1000, Chip Panarchy wrote:
I am hoping to one day become a white-hat hacker.

And I want to learn as much about hacking as possible.

So far I am 10 months through a 24 month networking course (where at
the end of it I will probably sit for my CCNA and MCSE).

I thought that that would be as good a place as any to start.

CCNA teaches networking basics as part of the course, which is
certainly not bad. I am however very unsure how a MCSE is going to help
you.

And I have been reading programming books (borrowed about 5
programming text-books, around half for Java and the other 'half' for
C++). So hopefully by the end of the next 14 months (hopefully much
sooner) I will be an apt programmer and 'networker'.

I am also not sure if a large quantity of books over the same matter is
adequate for your purpose. Also, how did you manage to borrow "about 5
books"? Is it 5.21 books? And is one of them about both Java and C++?

Whatever. I'd rather suggest you educate yourself on the existing
languages first, like you suggested, and then go for information on web
sites like http://www.cccure.org/ and look for training courses there.
Then you should start to find vulnerabilities in the books you first
read about your programming languages — you will most likely find that
there are lots of them.

Maybe you can also get an abonnement of http://www.hakin9.org/ — they
have interesting articles at times and certainly contain a lot of stuff
which may be new to you.

Though in the meantime, I am interested in finding an IRC channel
where I can 'chat' to white-hat (and black-hat?) hackers, and learn as
much of them as I can!

I'm sure you're going to drown in suggestions, most of which will not
be really useful.

                                Tonnerre
--
SyGroup GmbH
Tonnerre Lombard

Solutions Systematiques
Tel:+41 61 333 80 33            Güterstrasse 86
Fax:+41 61 383 14 67            4053 Basel
Web:www.sygroup.ch              tonnerre.lombard () sygroup ch