Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Disovering hosts using UDP services

From: "Gleb Paharenko" <gpaharenko () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2008 23:32:31 +0400

Dear list.

Often udp port scanning say with nmap -sU -pPort1,Port2,.. does not
give results as UDP services tends do not respond to malformed
packets. At the same time utilities which send good packets getting
results and allows to enumerate hosts on the net.  For example
ike-scan usually give you the VPN endpoints, while nmap will not be
able to do this. Another example - dns server, it will not respond to
nmap UDP packet, but will respond for good dns query.

I'm looking for tools which will allow enumerate
 - dns  53
 - snmp discover 161
 - windows discovery (135,139,138,445,137)
 - ntp discovery 123
 - ms sql 1434

I'm interested on your thoughts about advanced discovery techniques as well.

--
Best regards.
Gleb Pakharenko.