Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Botnets

From: "R. DuFresne" <dufresne () sysinfo com>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 13:43:25 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 12 Apr 2009, Aarón Mizrachi wrote:

        [SNIP]  < also noting here that the original direction of the
                  discussion has moved far from the original>

Handling your point of view... about how to avoid being infected, its a big
deal... Like you, i also remember a week ago, how conficker was spreading on
banks and sites that we suppose were secured and armored...

Is not something new, and its a shame that a worm using old "already-used"
techniques comprommised a big amount of "secured" computers...

- Weak password detection (already used in the past)
- Exploits that wasn't a zero day... (already used in the past)
- Shared folders (already used in the past)
- Pendrives (already used in the past)

 Interesthing thing to note was that the folks both homeside and workwide
that avoided that "intrusion"
did not allow those ports into or out of their networks.  They may well,
like me have allowed internal machines to use those ports though.

Like you mentioned, the people tendence on security is to trace a border and
build a wall (firewall)... inside the wall, we dont care about security
issues...  ("let me work" phrase), outside the wall, we are concerned about
how this wall doesn't have any open port.

But the security are the compendium of many visions... There is not a unique
solution...

Ex.

- How many times we talked about blocking autorun.inf? (A simple registry key)
- How many times we talked about study the business process and adapt the
network infraestructure and user policy to it? (creating network segments
according to the business, blocking traffic between vlans or segments, etc...)
- How many times we talked about software patch managment? (from AV updates,
to Windows Updates..)
- How many times we talked about the importance of antivirus...
- How many times we talked about the importance of not to run non-essencial
services...
- How many times we talked about the importance of a security plan...
- And... its fud or like you need to name it: How many times we talked about
we need to be aware of the risks...
- etc.

And do you know, why, if we as security consultants said all these statements,
there is happening disasters like conficker?

Its a simple answer...: Cost.

- adapt your network and user policies to your business have a big cost...
poor scalation without a costly mantain of this plan...
- patch managment have also have a cost... that starts on license managment
and update, and something very nasty: product lifetime and legacy systems.
- Antivirus have an implicit cost...
- run non-essencial services have also an implicit cost of usability (you
prefer to right click and share a folder when you want, without call for
support...)
- Security plan? do you have one? complains with ISO 27001 or something? and
its well implemented?

Hehe, There is when the equation has to be completed with a firewall or AV
vendor saying that his product will solve the 99.999999999999% of your
security problems, from this statement, the sysadmin lost the fear of have a
weak passwords and mantain C$||ADMIN$ && IPC$ shared...

Well, Finally

its not about fear, its about understand EVERY risk, to make the best strategy
and decisions. There is a lot of things to do and to develop... to protect
ourselves, we will need strategy and new developments...

But, also we have to be aware that we NEVER should think that we have seen
everything...

if you study about malwares, conficker was using a tiny spectrum of harmful
techniques to propagate itself...

You make some good points here, and fully go into how the same things are constantly being driven home again and again by those in the various areas of systems/network security. And still the same problems persist and the same old holes are found and used again and again to wreck havoc on the net <smile>. They happen to home based PC's as well as to large corporate networks. Over and over. And I'm willing to bet some compnaies that do most only pen testing find that when they review the same company yearly find many of the same holes open each time around.

Thing is; Few are truely interesting in a solution as pertains to network/systems security. You close a hole just after the findings of a pentest, only to have a upper mgt person need it reopened to twitter their kids and friends, etc...or they really really do need to mount compnay windwos shares on their infected home PC's that the kids use to wander the web and play games with. Costs get to be too much to maintain, especially in a bad economy, or the local security guru's move on and security takes a back channel in the course of running the company. And how many companies send their employees to the same security classes year after year to learn the same security saftey tips over and over, to no avail?

Look at what we are left with after 9/11, airports and ports and borders as insecure as they were before making it a pain in the butt to travel.

SEcurity is not a major priority, we have hot flashes now and them about it after BIG incidents, but, they are fast forgotten, kinda like the memroy of the vast voting public. But this is prolly a good thing <TM> for those in the industry, it pays their/our bills...

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne
        admin & senior security consultant:  sysinfo.com
                        http://sysinfo.com
Key fingerprint = 9401 4B13 B918 164C 647A  E838 B2DF AFCC 94B0 6629

These things happened. They were glorious and they changed the world...,
and then we fucked up the endgame.    --Charlie Wilson