Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Sonic Wall .exp format?

From: zach () thegiezens com
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 13:12:13 -0700

Hello All:

Yes they are Base64 files.
SW does this because they use the SAME format in the management interface
from the Global Management System so wen to connect to a remote appliance
you can push a new config file. GMS actually takes an xml document and
translates it into an .exp file before uploading it to the remote
appliance in the GMS interface in the unit.

Again this can be easly addressed by doing the fallowing:

1. Obtaining a base .exp file for the intended appliance
2. Decode a COPY of that file.
3. run the output decode file through a script php,perl,python,etc.
   to read the key value pairs into a 2D array.
4. Make your changes to the array.
5. run script to convert the array into a flat file (no CR or LF [one big
line of stuff])
6. re-encode the file and rename it to a .exp

Please, Please, Please Pay attention to ALL mac address values in your
file as you will bork your unit if to take a base file from unit A and
modify it and send it to Unit B. Trust me I have deployed over 500 units
this way, you don't want to loose communications with your units in
Australia because you didn't set the MAC address correctly. :-)

Hope this helps.

~cfman

I found a few .exp files by googling and decoded them.  They are
indeed base64 and in this format:

option1=off&addr1=0.0.0.0&someotheroption=on&someotheroption1=true

etc...  No line terminators.