Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: To go to University - For the CISSP etc. - Good idea/Bad idea???

From: Brad Bendily <bendily () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2009 13:54:25 -0500

With regards to technology, most of the time the only thing that a degree
will satisfy is the emotional and political requirement of the old school
mindset.  The truth is that some of the best talent doesn't come with a
degree.

Yeah, but the fact is that most businesses have an HR dept and unless
you have a degree you won't get
your resume past HR.
It's certainly possible to get a job without a degree, but it's
definitely not the norm.

Naturally, degrees are required for doctors, lawyers, etc.  I'm not
suggesting that they don't have a place.  I am saying that specific to
security they are nearly useless when compared to real world experience.