Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: TSGrinder and mstsc version 6 - try this work around

From: "Kevin Reiter" <KReiter () insidefsi net>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 17:25:30 -0500

listbounce () securityfocus com wrote:
: A while back I encountered an issue when using TSGrinder:
:
: C:\usr\sbin\tsgrinder
:: tsgrinder -u administrator -b -n 2 192.168.1.5
: timed_Event_send_recv: Wait failed: TIMEOUT
: Couldn't get handle to client window
:
: I was busy and didn't have time to mess with it and it still worked on
: one of my other computers.
:
: Over the holidays things were slow, so I decided it was time to look
: into why I got the error.  Turns out my first machine was fully
: patched and the older moth-balled box wasn't.  The problem is due to
: the upgrade of mstsc during a windows update.
:
: The workaround in a nutshell:
:
: Download & Unzip TSGrinder
: Obtain and place a copy of mstsc.exe and mstscax.dll version
: 5.1.2600.2800 (you may be able to find it in an $NTUninstall under
: %windir%) in the same directory as TSGrinder.
:
: Place the following text in a new file called tsgrinder.exe.manifest
:
: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
: <assembly xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1"
: manifestVersion="1.0"> <assemblyIdentity
:   version="6.0.0.0"
:   processorArchitecture="x86"
:   name="redirector"
:   type="win32"
: />
: <description>DLL Redirection</description>
: <dependency>
:   <dependentAssembly>
:     <assemblyIdentity
:       type="win32"
:       name="Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls"
:       version="6.0.0.0"
:       processorArchitecture="X86"
:       publicKeyToken="6595b64144ccf1df"
:       language="*"
:     />
:   </dependentAssembly>
: </dependency>
: <file
:       name="mstscax.dll"
: />
: </assembly>
:
: And place it in the same directory.
:
: This worked for me - anyone else?
:
: -T.

I just tried it with version 5.1.2600.2180 of both files, and it worked like a charm - the only caveat being I had to
use "-n 1" or it would crash and die a horrible death.

~Kevin

This message may contain confidential or proprietary information and is intended solely for the individual(s) to whom
it is addressed.  If you are not a named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail or act
upon the information contained herein.  Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail
by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system.