Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Format of SAM File

From: Marc Ouwerkerk <olderchurch () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 08:57:24 +0200

Hi Miguel,

This is what is in the hash:
<username>:<userid>:<LM Hash>:<NTLM Hash>:<Gecos>:<home dir>:?

I don't know what is supposed to be in the last one.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Marc

On Thu, Jul 9, 2009 at 9:40 PM, Hernandez IV, Miguel<miguelher () utep edu> wrote:
All,

Looking for a reference that describes the format of the windows SAM
file.  From what I can tell, the first column is the username and third
column is the password hash, but I want to know what information is
contained in the other columns.  Google searches on "format windows SAM
file", "understand windows SAM file", and other related searches have
proved frustrating.  I should mention that the SAM file was obtained
using pwdump6 in case that is relevant.  The format I am seeing is as
follows:

Username:number:password hash:another hash?:blank:blank:blank

Any help is much appreciated.

Miguel

Prove to peers and potential employers without a doubt that you can actually do a proper penetration test. IACRB CPT
and CEPT certs require a full practical examination in order to become certified.

http://www.iacertification.org