Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: Things to do before vulnerability disclosure

From: "Paul Melson" <pmelson () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 14:08:07 -0400

This isn't a topic I really know much of anything about.
But it seems to me, that if there were no "good guy" researchers, then bad
software
would be penetrated and makers of bad software would die quickly.

We've learned from past experience that individual penetrations don't harm
vendors of vulnerable software.  Pretty much the only thing that does is
wide-spread automated attacks like a worm.  So for a vendor whose market
share isn't large enough to support a worm, it's unlikely that they feel any
adverse affects from software vulnerabilities in their products without some
form of public disclosure.

My question is, could it be that vulnerability research by the "good guys"
simply
allows companies to release crappy code and receive free support from the
community?

Absolutely.  But without the research, those same companies would release
crappy software.  The support from the community is really also support FOR
the community that must subsist on their crappy products.  That's why
disclosure is such a mess - the vendors are terrible middle-men for the
process because they are disincented to make it work.  Even if they take a
beating with their customers, actually managing vuln reporting and
remediation is against their best interests.  Releasing software that their
customers believe to be secure is what they need to do.  That's why
Microsoft threw orders of magnitude more money at SDL than they did at
growing MSRC.  The return was in better new code, not fixing old code.

PaulM