Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: Firewall Scan

From: "Erin Carroll" <amoeba () amoebazone com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 05:08:03 -0700

Several firewall and IPS vendors now incorporate nmap signature detection
which is probably what you are running into. Sygate, Tipping Point, and
others I can't recall off the top of my head. On the OS side, PF merged
p0f's passive fingerprinting features so a rule like:

set fingerprints "/etc/pf.os"
block in log quick on $ExtIF from any os "NMAP" to any label ExtNMAPScan

will show all ports as filtered regardless of actual open ports. Psad and
other tools also incorporate nmap fingerprint detection. Looks like you've
run into them :)

You can try an XMAS or FIN run which may work depending on how the target is
configured but you'll most likely have better luck using an alternate
scanner with a lesser known signature.

--
Erin Carroll
"I cannot brain today, I have the dumb"