Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Internal Servers (noob post)

From: ticktock123 <ticktock123 () hotmail com>
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2009 06:06:48 -0700 (PDT)

While I am not a Pen tester I have, like you, read a lot about it and took
some classes on the subject.  One thing that a prof of mine always made sure
we understood is the possibility of an internal attack.  It isn't always
going to be the hacker on the outside going in, sometimes they are already
inside.  If you don't plan for that then you will be in deep water if it
ever happens.

pma111 wrote:

I wonder if you could give me some pointers on ways you pen testers would
try to penetrate / or gain access to an organisations internal server
“farm”. I have read numerous hardening guides for both UNIX and Windows
Servers, which we use for our host based Systems, but our IT dept insist
perimeter defences (firewall etc) are sufficient to protect the internal
servers so there is no need to invest heavily or put resources into
hardening internal servers. Is this statement valid or would hardening
internal servers also give pen testers a hard time gaining access to data,
backups or host based apps residing on internal servers?

What I am really after (I am no pen tester but am intreged by what
techniques you guys use) is to get into the mindset of the ways you guys
would try and gain access to our internal servers and data? If I make some
assumptions, could someone with experience (be it white hat, black hat,
grey hat) give me some pointers as to whether my assumptions are correct?

To attack (bring down, steal confidential data etc) one of our internal
servers would you always try to penetrate the firewall or find some
vulnerability in the firewall in order to get remote access into our
internal servers?

Once through the firewall what methods would you guys use to gain access
to the server? Would you try default accounts that you know exist (I
noticed the vast majority of hardening guides always say disable or remove
unnecessary default UNIX / Windows accounts etc)?

Is hardening an internal server much protection if somebody has broken
through the Firewall or is easy practice to still get data off internal
servers?

Any pointers most welcome.

Regards,